Fifty-two on Friday : [20] Broken

“I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.
For me they are the role model for being alive.” ~ Gilda Radner

Meet the newest member of our family, River.  He’s quite handsome, don’t you think?  My husband and I recently bought a house and we promised the kids that when we stopped renting, we would get a dog.  According to the Humane Society, “between three and four million cats and dogs are killed in the U.S. each year simply because they cannot find homes.”  For us, it was a no-brainer.  We did not care what breed it was, as a matter of fact, we preferred a mutt because they have would have a less chance of suffering from inherited health problems.  We really just wanted a medium sized-dog that we all could love.  We visited the Santa Maria Valley Humane Society several times with the kids and let them have the final decision (with our strong recommendation, lol) about which dog to choose.  He was about 11 old months when we got him.

In the beginning, River had such a broken spirit and I don’t blame him.  The first week, he didn’t make a sound, not even a peep.  I didn’t think River could bark at all.  Several days passed before he barked and I was shocked when I first heard him.  He just wanted to be held, all day and all night.  So, that’s what we did.  We took him to the vet and got his checkup and the doctor told us that he was still young and would warm up to us very soon.  Sure enough, by the second week, you could see his spirit being lifted.  It’s been about a month now, and he is  now “one of us”.  The kids play in the yard with River before and after school and my husband runs (or roller blades) with him every evening.  My kids LOVE him and I am convinced that he loves them too.  He never EVER barks at us and “talks” to us in his other voice.  I was not brought up with dogs, so this is all very new to me.  Puppy school has been a tad draining on my schedule, but only a couple of more weeks left, so I think I will survive.  I do have a lot more pictures to post, but my husband has been working overtime this week and I am beyond exhausted at the moment.  I promise I will do another doggy post in the next few weeks, ok?

Start your circle by visiting Melanie Pitcher | Memphis, TN Photographer to see how she and the other photographers went about interpreting “broken”.  It’s a hard one, this week, don’t you think?  Wait until next week, though, people, it is going to SO INTERESTING and FUN!!  Have a great weekend, y’all.

Melanie Pitcher - 05/25/2011 - 8:07 pm

I’m so glad he is with such a wonderful family now! And what a gorgeous photo!

wendy - 05/24/2011 - 9:55 pm

You are so awesome to rescue this sweet dog! But how could you possibly resist that cute face. So glad everyone is enjoying the newest member of your family.

Shannon Harrison - 05/24/2011 - 2:08 pm

He is awfully handsome Gina! Love his little ears and soulful eyes.

Stephanie Moore {Tucson AZ Photographer} - 05/22/2011 - 7:20 am

What a beautiful dog. It breaks my heart that animals are treated poorly. I love that he has a home w/ your family now!

Jules - 05/21/2011 - 11:00 am

can’t wait to meet your sweet river! :) love this!

jeni - 05/21/2011 - 3:29 am

Oh my what a gorgeous baby! Congratulations on the new addition.

Valeria - 05/21/2011 - 1:13 am

Awww, look at him! Such a handsome and sweet puppy, and a very lucky one, that’s for sure! We also tell the girls that when we get a house we’ll adopt a puppy.
Gorgeous picture of your newest family addition and perfect b&w conversion.
Can’t wait to see more of your sweet River!

Valeria - 05/21/2011 - 12:56 am

Gorgeous picture of your newest family addition and perfect b&w conversion.
Can’t wait to see more of your sweet River!

Jolie - 05/20/2011 - 6:53 pm

Awww he looks so sweet!

kelsey {las vegas wedding photographer} - 05/20/2011 - 3:50 pm

such a sweetie and so glad he found your family!

Jennifer O. RomeoandMae - 05/20/2011 - 9:50 am

Awe, he looks so sweet!

Jennifer N - 05/20/2011 - 8:15 am

You are so awesome for rescuing River. It shows true selflessness. River will never feel broken with your family. He is now complete :)

Kara Jo {Memphis baby photographer} - 05/20/2011 - 8:04 am

OMG. I did not know that statistics about dogs and cats;( Breaks my heart. I’m so glad that he has a good home now!

Jasmine Sargent - 05/20/2011 - 7:19 am

Oh what a sweet soul. I love that you adopted. It’s so heart breaking to go to the Humane Societies.

Pam - 05/20/2011 - 7:02 am

Great job Gina! Our family has always adopted dogs. The two current dogs we now have are senior citizens. My oldest dog was on a brochure for adopting pets when he was 6 months old. These dogs have been so good for my children as they were growing up.
Mt odest dog now functions as a live-” Teddy Bear”-always loving hugs and looking cute.

Sara T - 05/20/2011 - 7:00 am

River is gorgeous! I love him. Love to hear he found a home and that he is loved so unconditionally. Gilda, god love that woman.

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

There was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.